Pumpkin Mostarda Strudel
Pairing: Pumpkin Mostarda Strudel / Yalumba Museum Reserve Muscat, Rutherglen, Australia
Abstract: Yalumba Museum Muscat from Australia is a fortified wine made from the Muscat grape. It is tawny in hue with aromas of ginger, orange, some clove and raisined fruit. It will pair nicely with pumpkin mostarda strudel, a pumpkin puree mixed with mustard fruits, pine nuts, spices and amaretti cookie crumbs, wrapped in phyllo dough.
Yield: 2 strudel logs
Photo by Ellen Callaway
1 package phyllo dough (available in grocery freezer)
1/2 lb butter, unsalted
Amaretti cookie crumbs, pulverized
1 pound pumpkin puree
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs, toasted
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 Tablespoon molasses
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
Pinch of cloves
Pinch of salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
3 mustard fruits, diced
1 ripe pear, peeled, cored, and diced
- Defrost phyllo according to package directions. Melt and clarify butter.
- Brush one sheet of phyllo dough with butter. Sprinkle with Amaretti crumbs.
- Repeat with six more sheets of phyllo.
Filling and Assembly
- Combine pumpkin puree with egg.
- Add rest of ingredients and combine well.
- Place half amount of filling on bottom third of prepared phyllo sheets.
- Roll. Brush top with butter and sprinkle with Amaretti crumbs.
- Place seam side down on silpat or parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Prepare phyllo sheets again and finish with remaining filling.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Other Suggested Pairings:
- Planeta Moscato di Noto, Sicily, Italy
- Jorge Ordoņez & Co #3 Old Vines, Malaga, Spain